The folks at QuiltCon are hosting a link party so you can get to know some of the participants at QuiltCon. Most people are doing a 5 Things About Me format but Bill and I (above on our wedding day in 1996) thought it would be more interesting to write about each other. So here goes:
- After college Bill moved to Kenya where he lived for a year and a half in a mud hut with no running water or electricity.
- Shortly before I met him, Bill hiked all 2,200 miles of the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine.
- Bill and I met on the phone when I was applying for a job with VISTA, a branch of Americorps. Later that night he called his mom and told her he had “met someone.”
- Growing up with a sewing machine in his bedroom, Bill began sewing when he was 8 years old.
- Bill spent his junior year in college studying art and anthropology in Paris.
- Weeks is fluent in Japanese having lived and worked in Tokyo for most of the 1980s. She read seven Japanese newspapers to prepare for work every day.
- While in Japan, Weeks became the first foreigner in 150 years to become a master of the Ryusei-ha school of flower arranging. And now she’s got the coolest collection of vases imaginable.
- Weeks loves practical jokes and not just on April Fool’s day. To shake up a serious time in graduate school, she anonymously hired someone to wear a gorilla suit and run through the school, bringing levity to her classmates.
- If there were a James Beard award for “special snacks”, Weeks would be serious competition. Nothing delights our daughter like Weeks’ assortments of salty, sweet, crunchy and delicious snacks after school.
- Weeks orchestrated and oversaw the complete gutting and rehab of our 1930s home in under four months and would have started another the next day if she had her way. Really.
If you’re going to QuiltCon, add your 5 things here.
6 thoughts on “QuiltCon Link Party”
I really enjoyed finding out more about your personal histories. Loved your color class in Houston but won’t be in Austin as when you are retired you only have so much to spend on your passions.
You’re both awesome!
This is awesome. And that picture of you is fantastic!
Because we look so young? Or you’re admiring Bill’s seersucker suit?
I know it isn’t quilting related but I want to hear more about these awesome “salty, sweet, crunchy and delicious snacks”.
Thanks for sharing! It’s so interesting to read about your personal lives.