unveiling Quilts Made Modern

Having waited a year to show you the 10 quilts that are featured in our upcoming book Quilts Made Modern, it’s hard to decide which one to show first. Bill suggested I show Loft first because it might be fun to show you the behind-the-scenes photos as well.

We staged Loft in the stylish home of a painter friend here in Chicago. He graciously allowed us to place one of his paintings behind the bed to add to the mood of the quilt. Our photographer, Jim White, was fastidious in capturing the intimate bedtime mood we were looking for. Although we shot the photo on a bright winter morning, Jim was able to create a nighttime scene through the lighting.

Loft is one of three bed-size quilts in Quilts Made Modern. We’ve learned a tremendous amount from the quilts that we’ve had in American Patchwork & Quilting in the past few years. What we’ve learned is that quilters have a hard time pleasing the men and boys in their lives. There’s a lot of super-bright,super-cute, super-girly, rainbow-y quilts out there and quilters forget to design quilts that are gender neutral that aren’t made with beer can or camo fabric.

We’ve gone for understated colorwork in this book. There are some multi-colored quilts and one made with large-scale fabrics, but we find simple, enduring palettes don’t fight with our furnishings. Our hope is that we’ve designed some things that will look as modern a decade from now as they do today. Some of the quilts in Quilts Made Modern are made with fabrics that you would expect to see with a collection of modern quilts. Others, however, are made with tone-on-tones from fabric collections aimed at very traditional quilters. We hope that readers will come to see that sometimes soft-spoken fabrics are the best choices for modern patterns. They can give them a clean, sophisticated look that’s entirely different from the 19th century star and log-cabin-variation patterns for which they were designed.

Like some of the patterns in Quilt Made Modern, Loft is a quilt with simple construction but thoughtful color work. Never fear, we have a whole section on design and give lots of pointers for choosing fabrics that work with your home. Large bed quilts take a lot of time to piece and quilt so we chose to make bed quilts of the simplest patterns, thinking that those would be the most appealing options for you, our beloved reader. What I love about Loft, though, is that once you get the colorwork down, the construction flies.

As we have in our other books, we show each of the 10 quilts in three color variations so you can see how easily this sophisticated, manly quilt could become a sweet little girl’s quilt with a simple change of palette. Bill worked tirelessly to develop hundreds of illustrations that show you step-by-step to make each of the quilts in the book as well as lessons in binding, applique and both hand and machine quilting. Be prepared to have some fun.

1. Posted September 14, 2010 at 10:00 am | Permalink

So exciting!!! When will it be released? I see it’s on Amazon for pre-order, but there is no expected date.

2. Jackie
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 10:47 am | Permalink

I have this on my Amaxon list too! I can’t wait.
    Love the loft quilt.

3. Posted September 14, 2010 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Beautiful! I can’t wait to see the rest and finally read the book.

4. Posted September 14, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

The release date is in November but we’ll have a few advance copies in time for Market in late October. I’ll post pictures of the actual book as soon as we get our copies.

5. kelly
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

beautiful! Am looking forward to the new book. Thanks for sharing a bit to us now.

6. Alma
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

I cannot wait to buy the book!!! LOFT is gorgeous.

7. Tamie
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait for your new book. Thanks for sharing Loft with us.

8. Posted September 14, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

I am sure I will be among the first to buy your new book! I like this one and the painting and lighting do make me just want to curl up underneath it! Very nice and I do have two male quilts to make so this might wind up as one of them! In any event it will be one of your designs…just hard to pick which one!

9. Shari
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Absolutely love the first one shared…..I’m on my way over to Amazon now to get this ordered!

10. Posted September 15, 2010 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Such a great quilt! I love the colorwork and the tesselating shapes. A much appreciated break from the “cute”.

11. LindaLou
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Love “Loft”! Clean, crisp, sharp, adult. Can’t wait to get the book. Great job!

12. MiChal
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

The market in Houston in late October?

13. Posted September 15, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

MiChal, yes. Bill will be doing Schoolhouse presentations there for shop owners.

14. Mary
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 3:17 am | Permalink

Absolutely love it! Can’t wait to see the other nine.

15. Kate
    Posted September 18, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

You always get it right! You continue to inspire! Can’t wait to see the entire book. Thank you!

16. Posted September 20, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

I am so excited about this book. Your previous book of quilt patterns was the first one I ever owned, and from that I have made 2 quilts. Your use of color and pattern have continued to inspire me.

17. Posted September 20, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

ohhhhh that looks perfect! i’m really exciting about your new book! can’t wait!!!

18. Cheryl Allison
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed the behind-the-scenes look at photographing this quilt. I have a nice camera, but need to learn more about how to photograph my quilts. I am also looking forward to the book.