a quilt for the boy next door

One of the great aspects of being a grown-up is watching children you know blossom. Such has been the case for our family watching the eldest of the boys next door grow up over the past nine years. His family moved next door in 2001 and we’ve watched him find his way through middle school and high school.

We wrote letters of recommendation for him to participate in the wonderful People to People program and lent him our favorite travel gear as he traveled the world with People to People. We watched with excitement as he became the first in his family to apply to colleges and cheered him on when he got scholarships to go. He sat with us at our kitchen table to discuss his college options and his interest in foreign affairs. We could not let him leave for college without a quilt from us to go on his dorm room bed. On the label we wrote: “We’re cheering you on from Carpenter Avenue!” We gave it to him last spring when he graduated from high school and got all teary to see the pride and gratitude in his parents’ eyes.

I’m guessing that you too have some great teenager in your life that you’d like to cheer on as the graduation season approaches, so here’s a PDF of the pattern we made for our inspiring boy next door.

1. Megan
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

I LOVE this as I’m on quilt #3 for boys and I have two more to go. They have been together since pre-school and will all graduate together in June. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the pix to open up into a PDF and my cursor just wanted to print the picture. Can you help me?
    Thanx!!!

2. Posted January 22, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

How sweet and wonderful. Thank you for the pattern. GD#1 will be heading to college this fall.

3. Posted January 22, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

I wasn’t able to get the .pdf to open. (As always, I love your pattern.)

4. Posted January 22, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful story. And great for him that he had two such thoughtful and caring neighbors, both in the college advice department and in the dorm room decor department!

Go Huskies!

5. Amy
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Did some guessing and PDF is located at http://craftnectar.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/graduation-quilt-pattern.pdf

Thanks for the pattern!

6. Weeks
    Posted January 22, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

The link to the PDF is fixed. Sorry for the glitch, Weeks

7. Posted January 22, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

What a fantastic quilt. It reminds me of outdoorsy, camping tent greens and boy scout plaids with all the sophistication of becoming quite grown-up.

When I went off to college, my godmother sent me a puffy flannel quilt for my dorm room. It was so nice to have something beautiful and comforting while away from home. I count this quilt as one of my treasures.

8. Posted January 22, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

WOW that is the perfect quilt for a college age boy. I’m sure he loves it.

9. Judy Chaffee
    Posted January 23, 2010 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Weeks, how very giving you and Bill are to share this pattern with all of us. As usual, it is detailed, beautiful, and honors your goal of “the big picture”. Thanks!

10. Rachel
    Posted January 24, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Wow, that’s fabulous! What a fantastic gift. Thanks so much for this, I’ll be linking.

11. Nancy
    Posted January 26, 2010 at 1:50 am | Permalink

I’ve been looking for a masculine quilt pattern – this is perfect. Thanks so much!!!

12. Lisa Ward
    Posted January 26, 2010 at 7:06 am | Permalink

Wow! I got goosebumps reading this story. He sounds like a great person and he’s lucky to have you in his life.

13. eleonor
    Posted January 26, 2010 at 9:05 am | Permalink

thank you from Austria! the quilt looks fantastic!

14. Elizabeth
    Posted February 3, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Huskies? U of Washington Huskies? Or is there another Husky team closer to Chicago?

15. Posted February 5, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Hi.. I found your blog today and *love* it… so much great stuff. I would love to be able to get your updates through Google reader… and prefer not to get a lot of emails. Any chance you will offer that soon? Regards, Peggy

16. Posted May 21, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Who is one person who has been influential in your life, for better or worse?