sight word daddy

sight-word-game

Sometimes you can look at something someone has made or written or said and think, “That pretty much sums up who that person is.” Such was the case when my husband Bill appeared one day with his Sight Word Scrabble Board. At the time our daughter was in kindergarten and loved to play Scrabble Jr. Then Bill went to a parent-teacher conference and was given the Sight Word List by the teacher. The Sight Word list is a list of words that a child is supposed to master at a given age.

So my graphic-design-whiz husband disappears into the office for a few minutes and emerges having developed the Sight Word Scrabble Board. He even printed his rules on the board. Each player gets seven letters then has to finish the word by placing matching letters on the board. Once the player has completed the word, he/she needs to say the word aloud, spell it and use it in a sentence to get a point. He designed the board in Illustrator, printed it out and laminated it onto a foam core board. That’s our Bill. The kindergarten teacher was so amazed by it that she asked to borrow it from time to time.

Should you want to keep little minds busy over summer vacation, Bill’s even made his game into a pdf that you can download and customize to the child’s reading level or language (multitalented husband not included).

Click thumbnail below for a downloadable 6-page PDF (1.7MB) of the board game and letters.

cover4

1. Andee in AZ
    Posted June 25, 2009 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Nice idea, I have sent it on to a teacher friend of mine who might be able to use it! Pat hubby on the back!

2. Posted June 25, 2009 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Wow! What a thoughtful and creative dad,I love this! Thanks so much for sharing this, I’ll be linking.

3. Posted June 26, 2009 at 9:22 am | Permalink

That is awesome. My 5 year old loves to try playing Scrabble – this would be a great one for her. Thanks to Bill.

4. ana lilia v.
    Posted June 26, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

thank you and your husband so much! i’ve been wanting to buy a scrabble game to play with my young daughters, but i think this one is an even better idea! i can’t wait to try it out!

5. Posted June 30, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for sharing this. I just printed and am getting ready to glue. My son is going to love this game!
    Cheers,
    Tracey

6. Jean
    Posted July 5, 2009 at 10:08 am | Permalink

You and Bill never cease to amaze me with your endless creativity. Well done, Bill!

7. Posted July 7, 2009 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Thanks for this! I have two boys who will love it!
    Just found your blog – having fun going through it this morning!

8. Amy
    Posted July 8, 2009 at 10:40 am | Permalink

thanks so much for sharing this!

9. lenetta
    Posted July 12, 2009 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Love this – linked to it on my weekly roundup! Thanks!

10. Posted July 19, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

This is great! Thank you for sharing. My son and I are going to enjoy this. I hope you don’t mind that I linked to you as well.

11. Posted August 11, 2009 at 8:16 am | Permalink

Great idea! Another great activity to expose children to sight words is playing a board game called, Er-u-di-tion.

This award winning game incorporates over 300 sight words and the letters of the alphabet and their basic phonic sounds in an enjoyable, engaging activity, providing both teachers and parents with a useful tool.

Cards are categorized so children of all reading levels can play together!

12. Gwen
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 12:30 am | Permalink

O.K. ….This is too weird. Today I was brainstorming ideas for a children’s literacy group and…
    You guessed it. I thinking about a Scrabble Junior with tailor made words. This is a great board!!! Thank you for sharing it.

Your husband is truly talented. Please thank him for me.

Is it ok if I use it for the group at the library?

Thanks,
    ~Gwen~

13. Posted June 12, 2010 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Hi:
    WOW!!! I am so fortunate to have “found” this almost 1 year after you posted it : )
    I am 61 and learned to spell through phonics; I can even remember my 1st grade teacher that made reading such a joy : )
    Huge kudos to your wonderful husband for this game. I have my 1st grand daughter and although she is only 10 months old her grasp of words and communicating is astonishing. Her Mom, my youngest daughter, reads, sounds and spells out words for her all of the time. I will print this out so when she comes over we can play it.
    Such a marvelous idea!!!
    regards
    carole

14. Karen
    Posted August 18, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Fabulous! Thank you for sharing your husband’s educational game. Learning can be fun! Pass along our thanks to him.

15. Posted September 8, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Thank you for posting this. What an awesome idea. I’m linking up over at my literacy blog.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Aimee

16. dustie
    Posted November 8, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Fantastic idea. Thank you for sharing!

17. Deanna
    Posted November 21, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

this looks great! THank you so much for sharing!!!

18. Posted January 2, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

I just LOVE this activity!! kudos to your hubby for creating such a great game!! I’ve shared it here: http://dollarstoremom.com/2012/01/make-a-sight-word-scrabble-board-free-printable/

Thanks!!

19. Metqa
    Posted January 4, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

This is SO NEAT. I’ve been giving sight word word cards to my niece for her daughter each year since she was Pre-K but they just disappear. This “game” might just stick around. I’d like to take this idea up a notch and make my own board for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade sight words. Thanks for the great and fun Idea. What an Awesome Husband to make this!! And Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us. Hmm, I might even use it for my ESL classes! Whoohoo!

20. Posted February 26, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

This is genious. Not only is the idea great but the execution is beautiful. Well done dad. Thanks so much for sharing I know my daughter is going to like playing this.

21. Posted May 25, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Wow

22. julie
    Posted April 7, 2013 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

This is great! Do you think your hubby could make a template to share? I’d love to make more games using other sight words.

• Posted April 7, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Julie,
      Click on the .pdf link. That is the template.

23. Posted January 30, 2014 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Hi! This seems awesome. I’m a nanny of two boys who have different sight word lists and I’d love to customize this. Any chance of getting the Adobe Illustrator file? Thanks!

• Posted February 2, 2014 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

No sorry. Feel free to make your own version.

4 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [...] Sight Word Scrabble Board by Craft Nectar (absolutely [...]

2. [...] a great way to help her develop reading and spelling skills. Go check out this fantastic free printable sight word scrabble game from Craft Nectar. It includes the game board, letter pieces and directions for play! I plan to laminate the board [...]

3. [...] sight word daddy « Craft Nectar [...]

4. […] ATTENTION Scrabble fans: Now this is cool! Craft Nectar made a Scrabble board using sight words. It’s all in a free printable and in pdf format so that you can customize […]